Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Cambridge Ward Clambake, 1975

Lloyd Baird, lobsters, Gerald Horne

Friday, March 30, 2007

Building the new Cambridge Chapel, 1955-1956

Branch President Ira Terry helps at the groundbreaking for the new building on Longfellow Park.

The Cambridge Chapel, 1942-1955

Purchased in December 1941, this home at 96 Brattle Street was dedicated in 1943 as the Cambridge Branch Chapel by David O. McKay, counselor in the First Presidency of the Church. The mission home moved in next door at 100 Brattle Street In 1955, the chapel was demolished and the mission home was moved around the corner in preparation for the construction of the new Cambridge Chapel.

The first Boston Branch, 1842

The office of Abijah Tewkesbury, 82 Commercial Street, Boston Home of the first Boston Branch, organized March 9, 1842. Drawing by John Hammond, 1973



Julian Hall, 1832 Orson Hyde and Samuel Smith preached on June 22, 1832, "at Julian Hall, an infidel establishment." By the end of the year Orson Hyde reported a branch of "some 25 or 30 members."

Winchester Hall, 1841 Freeman Nickerson spoke on May 30 1841 at Winchester Hall, and continued preaching in Boston for several months.

82 Commercial Street, 1842 On March 9, 1842 a branch of the church was organized in Boston in the offices of Abijah Tewksbury, 82 Commercial Street, the first regular meeting place of the church.

Boylston Hall, 1843, 1847 Boylston and Washington Streets, SW corner (demolished 1888) Conferences of the church were held here on February 9 and September 8, 1843. Wilford Woodruff reported that the sacrament was administered here in a meeting on May 16, 1847.

Franklin Hall, 1844 16 Franklin Street (now Lincoln Filene Park) Meetings were held here in June and July.

Melodian Hall, 1844 361 (now 545-547) Washington Street On July 1, 1844, the State Convention of Jeffersonian Democracy met “during the day and evening” with Brigham Young as President and William Smith and Lyman Wight as Vice Presidents. General Joseph Smith was nominated for president and Sidney Rigdon for vice president of the United States.


Cantabridgia Club, 100 Mt. Auburn Street, 1930- The Cambridge Branch was organized in 1930 and met at 100 Mt. Auburn Street.

7 Concord Avenue, 1937-1943 The New England Mission was organized in 1937, and on September 4 the Mission Home at 7 Concord Avenue was dedicated by Apostle John A. Widtsoe.

96 Brattle Street, 1943-1955 In December 1942, Elder Levi Edgar Young, president of the New England Mission, purchased the home at 96 Brattle Street, and it was dedicated as the Cambridge Chapel in March 1943 by David O. McKay, counselor in the First Presidency.

2 Longfellow Park, 1956-present President David O. McKay dedicated the new Cambridge Chapel on September 23, 1956. Six years later the Cambridge Ward is organized as part of the new Boston Stake. The Cambridge Ward was divided into two wards in 1974. The chapel is now home to the University Ward and the Longfellow Park First and Second Wards.

275 Third Street

Today the Cambridge First and Second Wards meet near MIT in the renovated factory of the Kendall Boiler and Tank Company at 275 Third Street, while design work is completed for a new chapel nearby that will be home to the two Cambridge wards and the Cambridge Stake.